KBS BlackTop is a permanent high solids, single component moisture curing custom black top coat. BlackTop is the latest development in ultra high performance topcoats with very high solids (over 60%) and low VOCs.
BlackTop once cured is incredibly tough and hard like no other black topcoat you have used before. This wet gloss/satin black coating remains permanently flexible and is able to perform in the toughest environments including Australiaâ€™s highest UV applications without yellowing or cracking.
BlackTop Topcoat can be applied by brush (without brush marks) roller and conventional spray gun easily and unlike normal 2 Pak coatings no hardener is needed! BlackTop Topcoat can cure without heat or UV lights in temperatures from 6°C to 30°C.
BlackTop Topcoat is a unique type of coating in Australia and unlike any other conventional topcoat, so please read the guidelines, directions and warnings thoroughly.
- Do not paint out of the can
- Keep lid on at all times
- Seal can immediately after use
- Keep paint groove free of coating
- If spraying you must follow all warnings and cautions on the can and in directions
BlackTop should always be applied over existing primers and never directly over unprimed metal or other surfaces.
For coating over solid colour or fully cured coatings;
- Clean the surface with conventional surface panel prep solution and / or KBS AquaKlean;
- Deglaze with 600-1200 sandpaper and clean again, allow to dry.
- The use of Fusion SEP as an intermediary coating is advisable as it will allow for a more even finish but not mandatory.
For coating over freshly painted RustSeal;
- Less than 2 hours old: Apply BlackTop directly as no other prep is required.
For all other applications
- Lightly sand with 320 grit paper then clean & dry surface before topcoating.
Preparing for Application
ALWAYS USE PROTECTIVE GLOVES AND EYEWEAR WHEN USING BLACKTOP.
- Ideal application temperatures are 15-25°C.
- Use only in moderate to dry atmospheric conditions i.e 65% humidity and lower.
- Do not shake can. DO NOT PAINT OUT OF CAN!
- After a good stir, dispense a working amount of BlackTop into a separate container (steel or glass is best) and seal original can immediately.
- Unused paint should NEVER be put back into the can as it will shorten its shelf life and cause pressure build-up possibly popping the lid. Keep can groove free of paint by using a scoop or KBS Paint Spout.
- Use plastic wrap between the lid and the top of the can to stop metal to metal contact as Black-Top can permanently seal the lid. If there is any trouble resealing the can lid tightly, transfer and store BlackTop in a proportionally sized clean glass jar or new steel can.
- Always store in a cool dry place.
Applying Blacktop Topcoat
Apply BlackTop to clean & dry prepared surfaces using a bristle brush, foam brush, roller, or spray equipment. BlackTop has superior self-levelling properties. Brush marks will flow out. When brushing apply thin covering coats. For large surface areas best results will be achieved with application by spray gun.
IF SPRAYING, ALWAYS WEAR AN AIR SUPPLIED RESPIRATOR AND EYE PROTECTION: NIOSH/MSHA approved organic vapor particulate respirator.
- Thinning is not generally required if brushing, if needed thin 5 â€“ 10%, for spraying 10%-15% is normally adequate but can be thinned up to 30%. UseÂ KBS #1 ThinnerÂ ONLY.
- When spraying: Spray pressure of 35-45 psi, 250-330kpa for siphon/pot guns and 25-35psi, 170-250kpa for gravity/top container guns.
Always apply a MINIMUM of 2 covering coats.
- First coat thin covering followed by moderate to full coat (50um each approximately) for general applications.
- For marine or industrial applications, apply a MINIMUM of 3 thin covering coats (50um each).
- Re-coating can be done once the first or consecutive coat is dry-to-touch and does not leave a fingerprint.
- Remember to clean your spray gun immediately after using BlackTop.
- FOR BEST END RESULTS, always apply coats consecutively within 6 hours of each coat curing.
- Average cure times are 1-2 hours, depending on humidity levels.
- Do not apply BlackTop in wet or humid conditions to avoid rapid curing.
- Do not apply BlackTop too thick or too quick between coats.
- In each of these instances, surface bubbling may result as released carbon dioxide becomes entrapped beneath the top surface layer of paint.
Use KBS #1 Thinner or gun clean for immediate clean up including your spray gun.
IMPORTANT: Remember BlackTop must be cleaned up before it dries. It cannot be removed by any solvent once cured.
Always wear protective gloves (KBS Black Nitrile Disposable Gloves) to avoid skin contact and temporary staining. If skin contact accidentally occurs, immediately remove with #1 Thinner or lacquer thinner followed by soap and water. If BlackTop should stain your skin, only the course of time will remove it.
General Painting Tips & Guides
- If painting in conditions of high temperature and humidity thin BlackTop more than normal to avoid gassing.
- Do not use UV or bake lights to cure BlackTop.
- BlackTop will take 4 days to become hard under normal conditions and will continue to harden over the following weeks.
- In spray booths use low air flow and moderate temperatures for curing.
- BlackTop can be cut and polished as a normal Topcoat after 24 hours under normal conditions.