KBS Diamond Finish ClearCoat is permanent high solids, single component moisture curing custom Clear Coat.
Diamond Finish ClearCoat is the latest development in ultra high performance clear coats with very high solids (over 60%) and low VOCs. Once cured it is incredibly tough and hard like no other clear coat you have used before. This water clear 100% wet gloss clear coat remains permanently flexible and is able to perform in the toughest environments including Australia’s highest UV applications without yellowing or cracking.
Diamond Finish ClearCoat can be applied by brush (without brush marks) roller and conventional spray gun easily and unlike normal 2 Pak coatings no hardener is needed! Diamond Finish ClearCoat can cure without heat or UV lights in temperatures from 6°C to 30°C.
This is a unique type of coating in Australia and unlike any other conventional clear coat, so please read the guidelines, directions and warnings thoroughly.
- Do not paint out of the can
- Keep lid on at all times
- Seal can immediately after use
- Keep paint groove free of coating – try KBS Paint Spouts
- If spraying you must follow all warnings and cautions on the can and in directions
For clear coating over base coat;
- Apply base coat as normal, as per manufactures directions and allow to dry, normally about an hour.
For clear coating over solid colour or fully cured coatings;
- Clean the surface with conventional surface panel prep solution and or KBS AquaKlean, deglaze with 600-1200 sandpaper and clean again, allow to dry.
For clear coating over metals; Steel, Aluminium, Copper and Brass
- For general applications where maximum adhesion is not required.
- Metals should be freshly polished or sanded to the finish required and then thoroughly cleaned with high evaporation solvent.
- For maximum adhesion, metals should be freshly polished or sanded to the finish required and then thoroughly cleaned with high evaporation solvent. Followed by a clean with KBS AquaKlean at a duition rate of 10 to1 with water (10% strength) with the use of a soft non abrasive cleaning pad. (Use gloves and eye protection at all times) Keep cleaning times to a minimum on non ferrous metals. Rinse with water and allow to dry in a way that minimizes any water stains.
For clear coating wood
- Prepare as normal eg sand smooth and remove dust.
Â PREPARING FOR APPLICATION
ALWAYS USE PROTECTIVE GLOVES AND EYEWEAR WHEN USING DIAMOND FINISH.
Ideal application temperatures are 15-25°C.
Use only in moderate to dry atmospheric conditions i.e 65% humidity and lower.
Do not shake can. DO NOT PAINT OUT OF CAN! After a good stir, dispense a working amount of Diamond Finish ClearCoat into a separate container (steel or glass is best) and seal original can immediately. Unused paint should NEVER be put back into the can as it will shorten its shelf life and cause pressure build-up possibly popping the lid. Keep can groove free of paint by using a scoop or KBS Paint Spout. Use plastic wrap between the lid and the top of the can to stop metal to metal contact as Diamond Finish ClearCoat can permanently seal the lid. If there is any trouble resealing the can lid tightly, transfer and store Diamond Finish in a proportionally sized clean glass jar. Always store in a cool dry place.
APPLYING DIAMOND FINISH CLEARCOAT
Apply Diamond Finish ClearCoat to clean & dry prepared surfaces using a bristle brush, foam brush, roller, or spray equipment. Diamond Finish has superior self-leveling. Brush marks will flow out. When brushing apply thin covering coats.
IF SPRAYING, ALWAYS WEAR AN AIR SUPPLIED RESPIRATOR AND EYE PROTECTION: NIOSH/MSHA approved organic vapor particulate respirator.
Thinning is not generally required if brushing, for spraying 10%-15% is normally adequate but can be thinned up to 30%. Use KBS #1 ThinnerONLY. When spraying: Spray pressure of 35-45 psi, 250-330kpa for siphon/pot guns and 25-35psi, 170-250kpa for gravity/top container guns.
Always apply a MINIMUM of 2 covering coats, first coat thin covering followed by moderate to full coat (50μm each approximately) for general applications. For marine or industrial applications, apply a MINIMUM of 3 thin covering coats (50μm each).
Re-coating can be done once the first or consecutive coat is dry-to-touch and does not leave a fingerprint.
Remember to clean your spray gun immediately after using Diamond Finish.
FOR BEST END RESULTS, always apply coats consecutively within 6 hours of each coat curing.
Average cure times are 1-2 hours, depending on humidity levels.
Do not apply Diamond Finish in wet or humid conditions to avoid rapid curing.
Do not apply Diamond Finish too thick or too quick between coats. In each of these instances, surface bubbling may result as released carbon dioxide becomes entrapped beneath the top surface layer of paint.
Use KBS #1 Thinner or gun clean for immediate clean up including your spray gun.
IMPORTANT: Remember Diamond Finish must be cleaned up before it dries. It cannot be removed by any solvent once cured.
Always wear protective gloves to avoid skin contact and temporary staining. If skin contact accidentally occurs, immediately remove with #1 Thinner or lacquer thinner followed by soap and water. If Diamond Finish should stain your skin, only the course of time will remove it.
GENERAL PAINTING TIPS AND GUIDES
If painting in conditions of high temperature and humidity thin Diamond Finish more than normal to avoid gassing.
Do not use UV or bake lights to cure Diamond Finish
Diamond Finish will take 4 days to become hard under normal conditions and will continue to harden over the following weeks.
In spray booths use low air flow and moderate temperatures for curing.
Diamond Finish can be cut and polished as a normal clearcoat after 24 hours under normal conditions.